Consider inviting your children to help with this recipe after reading the Stone Soup story together.
Makes: 6-8 servings
Dairy-Free Egg Free Healthy Aging Healthy Immunity Low Sodium
- A few small, whole new potatoes, cleaned and scrubbed to look like stones, then chop up any more potatoes you’d like.
- 4 cups water (chicken stalk is also good)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (mixed or peas-and-carrots work best)
- 3-4 beef bones (try roasting them for a 1/2 hour for more flavour and less fat)
(Alternatives to beef bones include stew beef, lean hamburger or chicken legs.)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- A few dashes of Worcestershire Sauce if you have it
- Bay leaves (1 or 2)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thyme and oregano (optional)
- Instead of stones (which can be awfully hard on teeth), we recommend that you put a little love in the soup!